T20 World Cup: India vs Pakistan – Interesting statistics & trivia | Cricket News
An India vs Pakistan cricket match has always been a big draw and now that the two teams don’t play bilateral cricket anymore, any India-Pakistan clash is a highly anticipated event in itself.
The two subcontinental giants are scheduled to begin their 2022 T20 World Cup campaign with this high-octane clash against each other in Melbourne on Sunday.
Ahead of that big game, TimesofIndia.com looks at some very interesting statistics and trivia for India vs Pakistan matches at the T20 World Cup and in T20Is overall:
1. India are still the only team to have won five matches (out of six) against Pakistan in the T20 World Cup.
2. Australia have the next best record against Pakistan in the T20 World Cup, winning four out of seven contests (lost 3). Australia’s tally of wins includes the last two matches – 2016 and 2021 (SF). England have won both their T20 World Cup games against Pakistan – one each in 2009 and 2010.
3. India’s tally of wins against Pakistan includes one tied match, won by them via a bowl-out’ at Durban on September 14, 2007.
4. India’s triumph by 8 wickets at Colombo (RPS) on September 30, 2012 remains the biggest in terms of wickets by any team against Pakistan in the T20 World Cup.
5. Virat Kohli was dismissed against Pakistan only in his fourth outing against them in T20 WC matches – is overall tally being 226 in four innings, including three fifties, at an average of 226.00.
6. Kohli’s sequence of scores against Pakistan in World T20 are – 78 not out at Colombo (RPS) on 30-9-2012; 36 not out at Mirpur on 21-3-2014, 55 not out at Kolkata on 19-3-2016 and 57 at Dubai (DSC) on October 24, 2021.
7. Kohli’s aggregate (226), average (226.00), fifties (three) and boundaries (24 fours and five sixes) are the most by any batsman against Pakistan in the T20 World Cup.
8. Kohli is averaging 67.66 against Pakistan in T20Is, aggregating 406 in nine innings (three times not out), including four fifties – the most by any batsman against Pakistan (minimum 400 runs).
9. Kohli’s tally of 29 boundaries (24 fours and 5 sixes) is a record by any batsman against Pakistan in the T20 World Cup.
10. Virat Kohli’s 77 vs Sri Lanka at Mirpur on April 6, 2014 remains the highest by an Indian batter in a T20 World Cup Final.
11. Misbah-ul-Haq was the first Pakistani batsman to post a fifty against India in the T20 World Cup – 53 off 35 balls at Durban on September 14, 2007.
12. Mohammad Asif (4/18) remains the only Pakistani bowler to produce a four-wicket haul against India in the T20 World Cup, achieving the feat at Durban on September 14, 2007.
13. Lakshmipathy Balaji captured 3 for 22 vs Pakistan at Colombo (RPS) on Sept.30, 2012 – his best figures in a T20 WC game against them.
14. Irfan Pathan had bagged 3 for 16 at Johannesburg on September 24, 2007 – the best figures by an Indian bowler against Pakistan in the T20 World Cup.
From leading India for the first time in ICC World Cup to the team’s approach in the #T20WorldCup ! 👌 👌💬 💬 In con… https://t.co/Bq4uMrkNX9
— BCCI (@BCCI) 1666179379000
15. Pathan was adjudged the Man of the Match on Sept. 24, 2007 in the T20 World Cup final vs Pakistan which India won by 5 runs in Johannesburg.
16. Gautam Gambhir had posted 75 off 54 balls at Johannesburg on September 24, 2007, with 8 fours and 2 sixes – the highest score by any player vs Pakistan in a T20 World Cup final.
17. Kohli and Virender Sehwag shared a 74-run partnership for the second wicket at Colombo (RPS) on September 30, 2012 – India’s highest for this wicket against Pakistan in the T20 World Cup.
Perth ✔️Brisbane ✔️Preparations ✔️We are now in Melbourne for our first game! #TeamIndia #T20WorldCup https://t.co/SRhKYEnCdn
— BCCI (@BCCI) 1666253986000
18. Mohammad Rizwan and Babar Azam were involved in an unbroken stand of 152 for the first wicket against India at Dubai (DSC) on October 24, 2021 – Pakistan’s highest for any wicket against any opponent in the Twenty20 World Cup. Pakistan won that match by 10 wickets to record their first ever win a World Cup match vs India
19. Shoaib Malik has managed 100 runs at an average of 20.00 in five innings – the most by a Pakistani batsman against India in the T20 World Cup.
20. Robin Uthappa’s only fifty in Twenty20 Internationals was recorded against Pakistan – 50 off 39 balls at Durban on September 14, 2007 in a World Twenty20 fixture.
21. Mohammad Asif captured five wickets at 8.60 runs apiece in two matches – the most by a Pakistani bowler against India in the World Twenty20.
🗓️ Mark Your CalendarsHere’s the #T20WorldCup schedule 🔽#TeamIndia https://t.co/ETPwcP3CvB
— BCCI (@BCCI) 1666367127000
22. Bhuvneshwar Kumar’s tally of 10 wickets at 16.70 runs apiece in six matches is the highest by an Indian bowler vs Pakistan in T20Is.
23. Bhuvneshwar, with his excellent figures of 4 for 26 at Dubai (DSC) on August 28, 2022 had become the first Indian bowler to produce a four-wicket haul against Pakistan in T20Is.
24. Hardik Pandya, with 33 not out and 3 for 25 at Dubai (DSC) on August 28, 2022 had become the first Indian all-rounder to score 30-plus runs and take three wickets in the same match against Pakistan in a T20I game.
(Stats Courtesy: Rajesh Kumar)