T20 World Cup: It’s a hat-trick! Irish fast bowler Joshua Little joins elite list | Cricket News
Little earned the feat in Ireland’s Group 1 game against New Zealand in Adelaide, while Meiyappan had registered his hat-trick against Sri Lanka during Round 1 (qualification phase) of the tournament.
After being put in to bat, New Zealand scored 185/6 at the Adelaide Oval and could have crossed the 200-run mark, but for Little’s three consecutive strikes in the death overs.
Josh Little, take a bow 👏#IREvNZ #T20WorldCup #BackingGreen ☘️🏏 https://t.co/m28PD9l9I6
— Cricket Ireland (@cricketireland) 1667541041000
The Irish pacer removed Kiwi captain and top-scorer Kane Williamson (61), followed by James Neesham (0) and Mitchell Santner (0) in the 18th over of the Kiwi innings.
Overall, Little’s hat-trick is the sixth in the history of the T20 World Cup. Also, he is the second Irishman on the list that also features Curtis Campher.
We are the only team to take more than one men’s T20 World Cup hat-trick 🎩#IREvNZ #T20WorldCup #BackingGreen ☘️🏏 https://t.co/XtDyVH8LHq
— Cricket Ireland (@cricketireland) 1667541198000
The last edition of the T20 World Cup in 2021, incredibly, witnessed as many as three hat-tricks.
HAT-TRICKS IN THE T20 WORLD CUP SO FAR:
1. Brett Lee (Australia) vs Bangladesh, Cape Town, 2007
2. Curtis Campher (Ireland) vs Netherlands, Abu Dhabi, 2021
3. Wanindu Hasaranga (Sri Lanka) vs South Africa, Sharjah, 2021
4. Kagiso Rabada (South Africa) vs England, Sharjah, 2021
5. Karthik Meiyappan (UAE) vs Sri Lanka, Geelong, 2022
6. Joshua Little (Ireland) vs New Zealand, Adelaide 2022